Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Idea Blog for 09/17

A few weeks ago I received a lensbaby as a birthday gift…and it couldn’t have come at a better time! I am considering using this lens to aid in my concept. As I stated in my post about my meeting with Jeff, I am concerned with having my images look exactly like those I have taken over the past 2 years. I am particularly concerned about how they’ll look if I don’t end up using the moths. I mentioned that I wanted to experiment with the moths’ presence being less blatant and obvious by placing them closer to the lens so as to blur their form and to suggest to the viewer that the effects of the divorce are overwhelming. Perhaps using this lens will help make the moths’ presence more abstract. If I do not use the moths, the lensbaby could definitely suggest the same idea on its own, given the effect it creates.

I’m absolutely looking forward to experimenting with this lens. I think the use of the “sweet spot” to focus on a certain part of an image could communicate very powerfully. I am going to experiment with this lens as well as my fixed 50mm and compare the imagery. Depending on what I decide to shoot, I may use both or just one of these lenses. I’ll also experiment with how and what I’m focusing on so I have a better idea of how to communicate my message effectively. Selective focus is definitely subjective, but with the right combination of focus, subject matter and composition, I’m hopeful and confident that I will make a clear statement.

One issue I face is, because my lensbaby doesn’t have the traditional adjustments, I will need to make some sort of contraption that will allow me to adjust and hold the focus once I’ve positioned myself within the frame. I’ve considered asking someone else to take the pictures for me, but it would be much easier if I could do it on my own and with/on my own time.

I’ve shown this image before on the critique blog except I had inserted the moths. If I do end up super-imposing the moths in my photos I will probably not use this lens as I think there is too much going on. I think I’ll have a much better result if I use this lens with the moths in the original image.


Untitled, 14x11", Digital Photograph, Kerry McDonnell, 09/2009


1 comment:

  1. Oh man I want a lensbaby so bad.

    I think you should actually have the moths in the frame. It may work to super impose them but if you are going to be using your lensbaby and having some hazy areas it may not work. You dont want them to look pasted on. As far as getting the shot focused the way you want you may just want to have a helper sit where you wanna be then come help keep the camera in place. Im sure you can stick your cam on a tripod and use some (gaffers tape??hey hey) to keep the lens from moving. :)

    I like your image though. It feels nostalgic. I think it is perfect for your concept. Just dont get stuck on the lensbaby. Use it if you are getting the outcome you intended, not because its really neat. In that same vain dont limit yourself...you could find another method that works just as well, if not better.

    ReplyDelete