Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Idea Blog for 09/03

As I have mentioned in previous blogs on here and in the class blog, I am interested in using moths to serve as a metaphor for the effects of my parents’ divorce. I have expressed that I’d like to involve the moths literally and figuratively. I plan to photograph them along with myself as well as by themselves.


To give you a better idea of what I’m talking about--looking through the ParkeHarrisons’ work I came across these images:

11/28 Counterpoint, Photograph, Robert & Shana ParkeHarrison


8/13 Grey Dawn, Photograph, Robert & Shana ParkeHarrison

These 2 images serve as great, great inspiration for me. Looking at these images has helped me plan what and where I want to take these pictures and exactly how I’d like to use the moths. I really appreciate the ParkeHarrisons’ use of the butterflies and how chaotic they’ve made both of these images appear while still maintaining a tranquil aesthetic. I’m also enjoying the motion of the butterflies’ wings.


However, my images will not be nearly as ambiguous and probably not as colorful, either. My images will be much busier in subject matter, aside from the hovering moths. I’m also considering being more and/or less interactive with them. A comment on the critique blog questioned whether or not I plan on acknowledging the moths’ presence in the space with me. I think it would be interesting to see a dynamic between myself and the moths, so I will absolutely experiment with interaction. Another comment was made about creating diptychs by pairing an image of myself with one of a moth. The commentary between 2 images of said subject matter would be exciting. These are all great suggestions and all things I have taken into consideration and am going to play around with.


As many people have mentioned, moths are attracted to light. It seems fit to utilize light in my images for this project not only because of my props, but because I have always used light as a way to draw attention to certain subject matter or to help create a mood or atmosphere.


Late Afternoon, 20x30", 35mm photograph, Kerry McDonnell, 04/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment