Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Idea Blog for 09/10

I had something else I wanted to write about for this idea post -but I got really excited about my moths- so it can wait!

I started drying them today and I really can’t wait to finally be able to incorporate them in my photos. I’m only drying about 6 right now to see how my process goes—as a test run. I am going to run out to Michael’s to get more foam and wax paper for the rest later on this week. They take about 5 days to dry completely, so once I know this technique works I’m going to dry the rest of them all together. I have bought polyurethane spray to help preserve them once they’re dried. Hopefully this will keep them from being too fragile, as well. I’m going to try and look for a drawer I can store them in; otherwise they’re just kind of going to hang out in my room and make me anxious.

Here they are!




SO! A post about moths!

The moths I have bought are Attacus Atlas moths. Unfortunately, I’ve just recently found out they’re endangered. Falling into the Saturniidae category, they are the largest moths in the world in terms of total wing surface area. They can measure upwards of around 400 square centimeters or 65 square inches (Wikipedia). Atlas moths are commonly found in the tropical and subtropical forests of Southeast Asia and China: mostly in the Malay Archipelago (from Thailand to Indonesia). In some countries, as larvae, they are used for their silk in a non-commercial way. Unlike the Silkworm moth, Atlas moths’ silk is said to be more durable and is brown in color and wool-like in texture. Fun fact! Their cocoons have been used as purses in Thailand.

They’re named after the Titan, Atlas, of Greek Mythology. It’s also said they have their name because of the map-like patterns of their wings. In China they’re known as the Snake’s Head moth due to the snake-head-like-shape of the extension of the forewing. Atlas moths are unsteady fliers and the females often don’t leave far from where she discarded her chrysalis; she seeks a perch where the air currents will best carry her pheromones (Wikipedia). These moths do not feed, as both male and female do not have fully-formed mouth parts. They survive their adult life on fat reserves that they built up as caterpillars.

There is a website that I found a few weeks ago (that Courtney graciously sent me, as well) that discusses the symbolism of different animals and insects. It has been pretty helpful-it gives some factual knowledge of moths as well as symbolic points. It’s interesting reading through this site and making comparisons to my concept. For instance, the site lists that moth symbolism deals with: vulnerability, determination, intuition, concealment, attraction, subtly, and faith. I can apply all of these things to myself in the process of this project, the purpose or function of the moths in my photographs, as well as the ultimate outcome of my piece. The site also notes that moth symbolism is similar to butterfly symbolism, but with one exception. Moths are nocturnal while butterflies are diurnal. Therefore, moth symbolism also involves dreams, shadows, otherworldiness, secret knowledge, and psychic awareness. These words give plentiful inspiration for me to consider what characteristics the moths can have in my photographs-what dimensions they can take. When I had my meeting with Tom he mentioned Tableaus. I’ve been contemplating exaggerating the moths physically to help better get my point across, and doing some kind of planned Tableau would be the perfect situation to use that idea. I have also been researching fantasy artists to see how they use moths (or insects, generally) as language devices or props in their images.

Moths, Digital painting, Marta Dahlig, 2009

This symbolism site generalizes pretty heavily, and for the most part I think people generalize moth behaviors/characteristics. However, now that I’ve given some background information on my moths, I’m concerned that if I decide to be more general in my interpretation of how to use them people will feel confused, or ideas will conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment