Thursday, November 5, 2009

Idea Blog for 11/05

Filmstrip 04 and details, 2x11", Digital Print, Kerry McDonnell, 2009

Filmstrip 05 and details, 1x11", Digital Print, Kerry McDonnell, 2009

One
Two

I have to confess that I haven’t had much time to photograph lately as I have been unable to go home and photograph my sister and spaces of my house. I have, however, done a few things around my house in Richmond. I have worked on making the moth clearer as well as shooting in a few spaces similar to those I’d shoot at home. After reviewing the video of my midterm critique I jotted down a few ideas from that as well as referenced some comments made on my midterm critique blog a few weeks ago. I’m a little confused as to where to go from here. At this point I feel like I’ve nailed down my aesthetic and now presentation is my big issue. I am absolutely considering making these into stop-motion films, but I’m not sure how much I want-or need-to deviate from my 3 midterm pieces.

A few things I jotted down were:

-Make the moth more obvious

-Make the filmstrips longer

-Swing focus back and forth more in each piece between moth and background. I think this could help in making the strips longer; I could swing the focus back and forth more and only have one point where the moth is blatant and completely in focus.

-If I choose to make these more current pieces into a film, I need to shoot the “beginning” and “end” frames so that they transfer more smoothly to show a continuous loop. I don’t want there to be any weird jumps between the end and beginning. That would, obviously, suggest that there is a specific linear narrative.

-I will also consider the relationship between background and foreground and experiment with what happens if the 2 blend at certain points.

Along with creating a stop-motion film I was considering organizing and displaying the filmstrips vertically, though I’m not sure what that might suggest. AND if they weren’t all exactly the same length I’d have an issue with what the composition of a group of vertical filmstrips would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment