Sunday, November 29, 2009

Artist Blog 11/30

Videogioco, Stop-frame Animation, Donato Sansone, 2009

While browsing Google for experimental video I came across Italian filmmaker Donato Sansone’s Videogioco. I probably spent close to 2 hours trying to find a website but was only able to find him featured on a ton of blogs, his Vimeo and MySpace sites which both give little information about the artist. They did, however, boast quite a few very intriguing videos. The two that I found most interesting are completely unrelated to each other in concept and process.

Videogioco, Italian for Videogame, combines 2D drawing, flipbook-style motion and stop-frame processing to create an interesting take on a cartoon action sequence. The film focuses on a character whose head, having been dismembered by a rival, travels throughout the sequence by being punted, swallowed and cut only to land back on its body for a final punch. The video loops so that the end picks up at the beginning. What’s interesting is that you see the artist’s hand involved not only in the movement of the paper, but also in the storyline itself. He interacts with the characters by acting as the puppeteer, but also by-for instance- helping the dog who swallowed the head regurgitate it back into motion. The sound effects are intriguing and I do feel like I am watching a cartoon. The graphic nature of sound used reminds me of cartoons like Ren and Stimpy. The fact that he’s added in the sound of the paper flipping I think is wonderful because it emphasizes what exactly this piece is comprised of and I like that it acknowledges the fact that it’s not a traditionally-made cartoon. I am impressed by the amount of work that went into this piece as well as the organization and overall flow. The subject matter is easy to follow and more exciting every time I watch it.

The second film is called App-Circulatorio. It is narrated in Italian and discusses the flow of blood throughout the body and the function of the heart, veins and capillaries, among other organs. This video features a male subject whose body is overlaid by a graphic of internal organs. The subject moves quite a bit throughout the film and the graphic moves along with him. It’s interesting to watch, at least, how the graphic behaves when the subject moves. It’s interesting watching the color that emphasizes the organs the narrator is speaking about; it’s kind of like watching someone paint. There is a very stylized artistic effect being executed here and while the graphics are very advanced, I feel like I could be looking at a diagram from Da Vinci’s notebook.

While I think my images do have a style of their own I’d like to be able to push that even further and get even more specific with how I use light and photograph my subject matter as well as establish an easy flow with my filmstrips as well as in my videos.

Donato Sansone Vimeo

Donato Sansone Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment