Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Idea Blog for 02/25

Hayley 12, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 13, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 14, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 15, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 16, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 17, Kerry McDonnell, 2010


Hayley 18, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

This weekend I’ll be going to the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens to shoot my sister as Tom suggested I use this place as a possible transition from winter to spring in my final images. I’m pretty excited; I’ve never been there before and from what I’ve heard from several people the place is gorgeous. So, I’m really looking forward to shooting there. I went home again this past weekend and shot. As I mentioned in my last critique blog, Tom recommended that I try pulling back and shooting at a wider angle so that I can really start to experiment with composition. I tried this over the weekend and had a few images turn out well. I tried something a little different with a couple shots where Hayley was more interactive with the crown. Anyway, these along with any images from this weekend at the botanical garden will be posted on the critique blog as well. Just a preview for now :)

I chose not to include the moth in these images. The more and more I shoot them the less pleased I am with the final images. They worked effectively last semester, but this work is different in its layout/presentation and the moth just does not have the same effect. I’ve also had people suggest using other props (swords/wands/shields) along with or in place of the crown. I explained in my critique blog that I think the crown is the perfect metaphor for the different versions of herself that Hayley is assuming as well as its connection to perfection/perfectionism. I also explained that I’m using the crown’s color (orange) as it represents ambition. Including these other elements-along with the moth-has the possibility to demerit my work and perhaps even water-down and distract from my concept. While shooting with other props isn’t something to rule out immediately, especially when I haven’t tried it yet, I am not feeling convinced by any of it AT ALL. I’d hate to put my name on something which I’m not happy with or proud of and would regret doing so if that were the case. I didn’t get many responses on my critique blog so I’ll post the questions again here:


What do you think of including other hand-made objects in place of, or accompanying, the crown?

Should the crown stay the same color (orange)?

Does Hayley always need to be wearing it?

Is it important to see it in every image?

Is the Where the Wild Things Are reference distracting?

Is it necessary the moths are included? What do you think of the images where it is included?

Lastly, what do you think of the images above?


02/18 Critique Blog Individual Meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment