Saturday, February 6, 2010

Artist Blog for 02/08

1/19 A Fantasy, Michael Bailey-Gates

11/46 Fashion, Michael Bailey-Gates

13/19 A Fantasy, Michael Bailey-Gates

24/46 Fashion, Michael Bailey-Gates

Michael Bailey-Gates is a young photographer from Rhode Island. His work primarily focuses on narrative and narrative fashion. Many of his sets are constructed indoors and outdoors without the use of Photoshop. He usually commissions work from makeup artists and wardrobe stylists when he works with models. He utilizes light beautifully and very creatively sculpts what materials he has to enhance the narrative properties of his images. Stylistically, Gates seems to have an alternative anti-fashion style that captures the expression of the model(s) and the wardrobe well, and effectively communicates a concept that furthers the images into that of narrative and escapist photography.

I admire his ability to create exterior spaces with little use of props, or simply by the way he photographs the scene. I strive to achieve this in my own work and look to Gates photography for inspiration to use whatever I have (even the strangest of materials) to try and create narrative spaces.

He is also the 3rd photographer so far that I’ve seen use the crown. I was kind of put-off by it but I’m also glad that I’m seeing how different artists use this prop; it only allows me to understand how to separate myself from their work and push my work further.

Michael Bailey-Gates Flickr

Artist Website

Artist Interview


No comments:

Post a Comment