Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Idea Blog for 02/04

Untitled 1, Kerry McDonnell 2009
Untitled 2, Kerry McDonnell, 2009
Untitled 3, Kerry McDonnell, 2009
Untitled 4, Kerry McDonnell, 2009

Untitled 5, Kerry McDonnell, 2009

So much to talk about! Where to begin?

Because of the snow I was not able to go home this weekend (and given the forecast I don’t think I’ll be able to make it home this weekend either). My meeting was pushed back until next Tuesday so I plan to show Tom these images and discuss with him a few details about them. I did show these in my PowerPoint, but have included a few others here. What does everyone think of these images? I'm considering asking Tom if I can include the 2nd to last image in my portfolio this semester. Also, to set the record straight, my sister will be standing in for myself as I think it is only appropriate given my work from last semester.

I’d like to discuss with Tom that I am considering having Hayley (my sister, I’m going to refer to her by name now-FYI) wear a crown for each shoot. However, I want the crown to symbolize her escape but I don’t want the images to be about the crown; it will be implied that she is wearing one in the images you cannot see it. I’d also like to discuss the idea of her wearing a different colored crown for each “escape.” I’ve done similar photo shoots before using the crown and each time I’ve had to make her a new one because they’re easily damaged. Using a different color crown for each shoot will more obviously suggest that she’s had to make a new one each time. I’m also interested in this idea because I think it emphasizes the fact that these “escapes” are only a temporary solution to the issues at home and the act of having to remake one each time stresses that these escapes are not real and cannot last forever. In addition, I plan on having her dress differently and in a different location for each final photograph, which will also suggest that the color of the crown varies on who she plans to pretend to be that day.

I’ve also considered including our dog in some of the photographs. What I’m drawn to about the images above is how protective Hayley is of the Charlie (the dog). Essentially, Hayley “escapes” to protect herself (her sanity) from my parents’ divorce; I see Charlie as an extension of Hayley; as a manifestation of her protection of herself.

Lastly, I’d like to introduce a fashion element to these images in the way they’re shot as well as the wardrobe chosen. I feel that last semester’s work is a little inaccessible and by making this semester’s work applicable to a wider audience it will not only elevate last semester’s work but help get people interested in my work as a whole.

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. I think that your work from last semester with the moths was really interesting. I wouldn't totally withdraw from it though. This work you are talking about seems to speak to your aesthetic style in shooting. As a photographer I think that it is really nice that you have a sort of style that is recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of agree with you, but as I said in my presentation I think this recent work of Hayley is symptomatic and frankly, just feels right. I think this semester's work, though stylistically different and less abstract, will elevate last semester's work to a level of intangibility which it is trying to represent, while this work can exist as a physical space that represents the escape from the intangible functions/behaviors of the mind I was representing with the moths.

    ReplyDelete