Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Idea Blog for 10/29

I have been considering multiple ways of presenting my work along with how I printed and displayed my images I presented for midterm critique. I really liked that layout and enjoyed that the viewer didn’t necessarily have to start or end at certain points. I felt like if I had them stacked; one on top of the other, the viewer would be inclined to “read” the images which was not the effect I desired. After doing a lot of research I found a very profound quote from Harvie Ferguson’s Self Identity and Every Day Life, which I included in an earlier blog post: “We play over the entire range of possible past experiences in recollecting events and incidents; free from the ordering of time’s original flow.” Having seen it written down and having read it to myself, that simple quote became something much heavier and allowed me to expand how I thought about presenting my work. I think the way I presented my filmstrips during critique was somewhat limiting and I do realize that it could still be “read” in a way, although they were arranged unlike lines in a book.

Anyway- I have been considering displaying these as video on a loop. Perhaps I will have one looping video for each filmstrip or one video that’s comprised of several strips that play on a loop and fade in and out of each other. The former I feel like would be better supported by the quote I provided above; I’d see that presentation as a better illustration of one’s continual struggle to remember something specific. It would suggest how our minds quickly run through certain memories or parts of memories over and over until whatever was forgotten is remembered to the best of one’s ability. However the latter could also suggest that. It may also communicate that each memory is related to the other, which although they are in intent, they don’t necessarily relate in subject matter. I don’t know if this is a bad thing, but I do feel like this kind of reel would suggest a narrative or something that occurs chronologically and needs to be understood and followed as opposed to isolated memories that are struggling to be remembered. I guess my main attraction to the reel of multiple filmstrips is that it could suggest stream of consciousness. Still, I’m not sure how much that relates to do with my concept. It could be completely irrelevant.

So my point being that I have not taken the film class yet and have absolutely no idea how to use any of the movie programs! I found this guy who has almost 20 iMovie and Final Cut tutorials that range from basic to advanced. I will be spending a lot of time with this man and his snappy tutorials.

Final Cut Pro Tutorial Channel

Self Identity and Every Day Life

No comments:

Post a Comment