Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Idea Blog for 10/22

I have been considering the issue of moth’s form being unrecognizable. While a few people in the class mentioned that they’d like to see the moth more clearly because it is important to my work, I’m now starting to wonder what the moth will say to the viewer and if it’s important that they know it is a moth. Because the moth is symbolically important to me, and for my own sake and peace of mind, I will continue to use it throughout my imagery. Though-so what if it comes across as a butterfly? Will my message change? Will the relation to memory be disconnected? It will still be annoying, disruptive, and intrusive. It is a delicate creature like the moth; it is just not related to darker, prophetic states relating to the mind. Is it necessary that the audience understand this symbolism? Some have pointed out that having an identifiable moth to better get my point across to an audience may not be necessary. I think the away my images are shot, the subject matter and the fact that there is an obscuring object is enough to relate to the struggle to remember. However, I will experiment with giving the moth more of an identity. I believe Sarah suggested using a mirror’s reflection or shooting through a mirror could assist with this point.

I am considering several different ways I can present this work. I do not plan on sticking with the horizontal filmstrip. I may even move into film and have these images play on a loop, fading in and out of one another. For the time being I am going to focus on photographing more images of people, or perhaps revert back to photographing my family, specifically my sister. We’ll see, I may try photographing subject matter similar to my other 2 pieces of the door and the shoes and see what comes of it. I’m also going to play around with how I position the moth within the frame. I really like this aesthetic and I think it communicates clearly the idea of interruption or loss but perhaps it can somehow be pushed in another direction.

Lots to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment