Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Idea Blog for 10/08

I posted these in the class blog for critique:


Find them larger here: 1 2 3

My concept has progressed into something I’m still not quite grasping entirely. I think I’ve pretty much moved away from the concept of the moths as a metaphor for the effects my parents relationship has on me. At this point I’m juggling 2 ideas:

1.) I personally relate moths to memory, and I have been getting really hung up on trying to find research to back up my claim. However, the symbolism of moths is subjective-everyone is going to have their own view of what a moth relates to. It is my job as an artist to communicate why (and how) I relate moths to memory and challenge the viewer to look past their superficial or initial interpretations of what a moth is. My condensed concept is: I relate moths to memory (in this case, as an interruption of memory). An interruption of memory is an interruption of self-one loses pieces of their own identity along with the memories or pieces of memories they’ve forgotten. I plan on experimenting with inserting myself in the frame, though perhaps through a reflection, and use the moth to interrupt the “memory” as well as my figure.

Questions: I suppose this is interchangeable, but, the moths not only “interrupt” the viewers’ POV, but they obstruct the subject matter as well. Will taking the photograph as though from my (or the viewers’) POV be enough to communicate an interruption of self?

2.) The idea that immediately comes to mind when looking at this work is the general confusion which, due to some kind of event, suddenly dissipates for a few moments and after which that time has passed, one settles back into confusion and the clarity is forgotten. I am interested in capturing/illustrating those moments just before and just after “clarity” or “realization” for reasons simply relating to length. After I experimented with length or “time” of each series, I decided that keeping the series shorter rather than longer will be more effective. I got bored looking at the longer series because the composition doesn’t change as drastically. I noticed that if I keep the series shorter I am more inclined to examine each image carefully AND view the entire piece as the composition changes more drastically between frames. In this case, the viewer will feel that they have much less “time” to spend with each image before moving to the next; for they may have missed an event in the last frame. The viewer will have to keep up with the piece rather than peruse it. I am also very interested in the language and message that is communicated by shooting into different light sources or portals (windows/doorways). Perhaps the light could set the mood of the piece.

Link to related critique blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment