Thursday, March 25, 2010

Idea Blog for 03/25

Hayley 14, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 19, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 20, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 21, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 22, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 23, Kerry McDonnell, 2010


Hayley 24, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

Hayley 25, Kerry McDonnell, 2010

So-the very first thing I did the day I got home for spring break was take pictures of my sister! I think it was Arlie that suggested I try photographing in the rain, so that's just what I did! I do like the larger group of images taken in the creek but I'm not sure how they'll function with the rest of my portfolio because the colors and light are much more harsh, as opposed to the atmospheric, diffused light and presence of snow in the majority of my others. Actually, the reason why I included the 3rd to last image was because the white foam in the bottom right looks a lot like snow and I'm considering putting it in another image. That particular image I'm not too crazy about, generally. The first image I think will replace the other like it where she's sitting; I like the language in this one more as I think it has a more specific message.

The 2nd image was taken just before driving back to school. My sister was in the WORST mood that day, and-fortunately for me-it contributed wonderfully to the image. During my midterm critique Chris pointed out that the reason why the snow mound photo was so successful was because the snow acted as something other than itself; it became more than just a snow mound. I tried to achieve that in this image (and I think I did so effectively) with the tree branch and the way the light functions. I guess I kind of see the branch as this claw (masked by the beauty of the sunlight) that is reaching out to steal her away back home. I'm also concerned this photo may be too different from my other images and not fit into my final portfolio.

Anyway, my main concerns at this point are post-production and organization. I have a couple questions that I want to discuss with Tom about what can be-or needs to be- included in our final portfolio as well as artist statements, as I have two different ones for fall and spring. Also, I'm unsure about combining last semester's work with this semester's into one portfolio for panel review.

No comments:

Post a Comment