Monday, April 5, 2010

Artist Blog for 04/05

Children of Men promotional poster, Jaap Buitendijk

Children of Men production image, Jaap Buitendijk

Gladiator, Jaap Buitendijk


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Jaap Buitendijk


Even though shooting specifically for my portfolio has slowed, I have to restrain my temptation to rent Where the Wild Things Are for fear that having seen it; I will subconsciously alter something in my work thus far so as to mimic a shot that happened in the film. I am deathly afraid of this. I understand there’s nothing wrong with inspiration, but I don’t trust myself enough to catch unintentional copy work before someone else does. I am, however, interested in how my images may relate to film stills.

Jaap Buitendijk is a film still photographer originally from Holland. After much traveling in his early twenties (where he first picked up a camera and discovered his passion for photography) that he attended Newport School of Art where he studied documentary photography. Buitendijk explored the “apparent contradiction of using documentary skills to record an artificial reality; that of films.” He has worked on numerous big-name films such as Harry Potter and Blood Diamond, as well as smaller production films like The Constant Gardener and Girl With A Pearl Earring.

Buitendijk does a wonderful and effective job capturing the mood of his subjects and seems to do so in his own style; one alternative to how the film itself was shot for theaters. I feel his images are more personal and perhaps less mainstream and therefore can be accepted as a legitimate type of art photography. Or I could just be hoping that the products of one of my dream jobs of being a film still photographer could breach the fine art world. Nonetheless, Buitendijk strongly composes his images, communicating a clear message and garnering a direct response from the audience. I also very much admire his use of light.

While my images aren’t taken on large-production sets, I would consider them to be theatrical and could alternatively be attached to some sort of movie as film stills. Technically, I do not think they are up to par as far as composition and use of focus goes, though, I think my concept is communicated clearly and effectively.

Jaap Buitendijk website


No comments:

Post a Comment